Thursday, August 12, 2010

Family Reunion

We had our Powell Family Reunion here in Utah this year, and it was a ton of fun!  Many of the activities took place at Janice's house (whose basement we live in), so we were involved with the reunion as often as we were home.  We were both working full-time during the reunion, so most of the things we did with the family were on the weekend.

The highlight of the reunion was the pig!  Some of you commented on the fact that we posted earlier about our pet pig.  Our family members were told that Dave loved the pig more than he loved me.  Well, that wasn't entirely true.  Dave loved the pig more than I loved the pig.  And that was because the pig was a butchered pig that we picked up from a meat-packing house and roasted in the ground for the reunion!

Dave roasted a pig for a church activity a few years ago, and has wanted to do it again ever since.  We were going to roast a pig for our wedding reception last year (it's been almost 1 year!), but it ended up not happening.  So Dave was really excited to do it for the reunion and practice his pig-roasting SKILLZ!

The pig was a success, and even though it was a lot of work to cook it, it was pretty fun.  All of my cousins and their kids were really interested in looking at the pig, before and after it was roasted, and it just brought a fun atmosphere to our Saturday dinner.

Some other highlights from the reunion were:
1. taking naps!
2. seeing lots of my family in church.
3. saying hi to cousins that I haven't seen for a long time.
4. playing TONS of games!  I am a game person, and while Dave is kind enough to play games with me when I want him to, he doesn't really love games as much as I do.  So during the reunion I could always find someone that wanted to play a game with me.  Some of my favorites are Banaanza and Ticket to Ride.
5. Introducing Dave to lots of new family members.  He's pretty good about remembering names, and during that week he met a lot of folks.  I was way impressed!
6. Seeing my nieces and nephews!  My sister Jill's youngest, Gabe, was just a few weeks old when Dave and I got married, and that was the last time I saw him!  So he'd grown a lot and it was fun to see him.

It was a fun week!  We are glad to have the house back to its usual peace and quiet, but we are already looking forward to the next family reunion!

No comments: